Sunday, January 27, 2013

Life at Plum Cottage

Good evening Folks ~ I hope you all had a lovely day inside or out. From reading blogs I know that a lot of you are ‘inside’ cozy and warm, as outside, is sleet, freezing rain, snow, icy roads. Others have had nice days puttering outside, and I also was one of the latter. More on that in a bit.

Here is my partial book order. Two others did come in and I’m still waiting on another one. These are all great.

I have been reading ~ ‘One Thousand Gifts ~ A Dare To Life Fully Right Where You Are’ by Ann Voskamp. It is wonderful! Every day there are gifts to be thankful for. I’ve always been a thankful person, although, it is somewhat harder at the moment, but I am still thankful to God for His many blessings every day in my life.

01-25-books

Reading Ann’s book inspired me to create a little journal of thanks. I bought three of these little notebooks and used one for me. The cover was going to be my practice as I didn’t know what I was going to do, not having made one before. I watched a couple of you-tube videos and got some inspiration and tips.

I had bought some tacky glue and used it. It showed up with the light fabric, so I’ll remember that for future projects.

01-27-give-thanks

01-27-give-thanks2

I did the above and stopped so that I could fix breakfast then go out to putter in God’s lovely creation. It was a gorgeous day and I ‘needed’ to be out there.

Later I worked more on and finished the little journal, which is 4 1/2 inches by 3 1/4 inches. The colorful laces I won in a give away awhile back, from Nicki Lee at Ravioli Dreams. The white lace Mark found curbside a couple of years ago in several boxes of craft items.

01-27-give-thanks3

01-27-give-thanks4

This is my first writing in it. I plan to write down things I am thankful for each and every day.

01-27-give-thanks7

01-27-give-thanks5

This back piece was also in the box of crafts, it is a section of lace.

01-27-give-thanks6

Yesterday morning I was thankful for the sunlight that comes into the ‘scullery’ and the view out the window too.

West side of window.

01-26-scullery-west.

My view out into the secret garden and beyond.

01-26-scullery-view-a.m.

East side.

01-26-scullery-east.

This morning I brought the round terra cotta pot over from secret garden, to take the place of the turquoise plastic pot. This terra cotta pot has a Dwarf White Orchid tree in it. I need to plant something at the base of it, to fill in the pot.

01--27

I took this picture cockeyed, and don’t know how to straighten it up but here it is anyway.

01--27-2

The next photo is DH’s workshop. His dream come true. We built this from the ground up, starting with the form work for the concrete slab, but had a concrete crew do the slab.

There was a stack of wood leaning up against the left door on the stoop, as we were in the middle of working on the caravan. I got rid of some of it, and stacked the rest elsewhere. I’ve still some clean up to do here, but that was enough for today. He loved working in there, and I loved going in there to get things, help him etc. He told me before he died, that it would be mine if things didn’t work out and to make it mine. Sigh! The three work benches are piled high with stuff, from projects, so I’ll be tackling them a little at a time.

01-27

I started going through a box of slides from us living in Europe last night, and I’ll be posting some of them as I go along. They bring back so many wonderful memories.

***

May I not worry or stress, or become depressed, 

but fill my heart and mind with~

whatsoever things are true,

whatsoever things are honest,

whatsoever things are just,

whatsoever things are pure,

whatsoever things are lovely,

whatsoever things are of good report;

if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Philippians 4:8 KJV

***

May your week be filled with blessings, and if you are dealt some hard knocks or lessons, learn as much as you can from them with a grateful heart.

FlowerLady

22 comments:

Friko said...

Making such pretty things, puttering outside, tidying the workshop, being aware of your lovely home and everything in it, is the gentle way to go forward. I admire you tremendously that you are able to start a notebook to fill with grateful thoughts when you could so easily be angry, sad and full of blame.

You are dong so well. Immerse your soul in the feelings and needs of the moment, accept what you are given and follow your path. Everything happens for a reason.

My very best wishes to you.

Rebecca said...

DH's Workshop looks like an AMAZING place. I know you'll make it "yours" - just take your time....

The journal cover is really pretty, Lorraine. And I don't have words to express how much I like the view through your window into the secret garden.

You are surrounded by the beauty the two of you envisioned and worked to make possible. Thank you for sharing it with me/us.

Annie said...

What a beautiful book you have made for yourself. It will be great to read. I started one of those a long time ago, but then forgot about it. I must hunt it out. I keep meaning to tell you that I smile each time you say putter around the garden, as here, we say potter. Same meaning I'm sure!

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

We did enjoy our unseasonably warm weather a bit today but also relaxed in the house. I'm working on photos from our last trip. Documenting those memories as you've demonstrated so well. Your journals are very pretty all dressed up. You also have very lovely handwriting. That was nice to see. Sounds like you had a good day. Be well!

Karen said...

Hello Lorraine, I'm glad you found some time to work outdoors today. I know God's presence seems nearer in the garden. I love your little book of thankful thoughts. My friend Ann gave me a journal similar to that one years ago when I was going through a rough patch. It was great therapy.

On one of my exercise videos, Debra Mazda encourages us to "Wake up each day like you just won the lottery!" and I chuckle each time I hear it. She's right, there's always something to give thanks for, even in the midst of sorrow. I have to remind myself of that fact, as I am not always appreciative of my blessings.

Every time I see your little caravan, I smile. Such a special place filled with wonderful love and memories. I know you will feel close to Mark whenever you are there.

Mrs. E said...

Mark's workshop is lovely. Being grateful is the key to contentment. I have to remind myself, if you can be grateful during this tough time, I have no right to complain at all. Your attitude is a gift to all.

Ruth Hiebert said...

You are a very creative lady. That journal is beautiful and will be a good incentive to add notes of thankfulness.

Nancy J said...

Lorraine, your covers are beautiful , as is your "corner" the terracotta pot is so much better. Do you have picasa? for your crooked photo, someone else showed me this, Open the photo, go to edit, and click on straighten.if not would you like to email that one to me, I will edit and send back.Lovely laces, DH had great choice. Greetings from Jean.

Sunray Gardens said...

Great photos. The caravan is really looking good and the workshop is really wonderful.
Cher Sunray Gardens

Lona said...

Lorraine the book covers are just beautiful! What a wonderful workshop. It sounds like you have been keeping busy which is always a god thing at these times. Sounds like you have a lot of good projects yet too. The Terracotta pots do look better there together and it looks wonderful now. Take care and blessings.

Unknown said...

Love,love,love the workshop! And all your blue glass!!!!!Looks like you've accomplished a lot.Have a great week!

Sandy said...

I see love and warmth everywhere in your home, inside and out. May the Lord continue to give you strength to enjoy it all to the fullest measure.
Your needlework is beautiful, as always.

Unknown said...

Your little gratitude book is very pretty, good idea. I loved seeing photos of your home. It sounds like you have enough work there to keep you busy for a long time. It's still cold and wet here. I want to get out and work on my garage when it warms up a bit. Hugs.

Leslie Kimel said...

I don't think I'd ever seen a view of the workshop before. I love it! It's got such beautiful windows and doors. I love looking at pictures of your house and garden. There are so many wonderful details!

Andrea said...

Hi Lorraine, i can see you have gained wonderful friendships, maybe from blogging, as viewed above. It is lovely that you can make a lot of wonderful creations and expressing yourselves on projects of your own now, I am sure those receiving them as gifts will be very delighted. I remember the caravan very well, and the details made step-by-step, created with love, i hope you can make us of it well now! Enjoy life, yourself alone can now choose whatever you want, be happy!

Lynn said...

Good morning Lorraine. Like Leslie, I don’t remember the workshop from that angle either. The outside opening windows up top must vent hot air out. It’s lovely architecture in your Florida sunshine. I picked up my winter pansies yesterday. They were the second delivery to Lowes and look lush compared to the ones they had marked down from the first of this season’s delivery. As usual my procrastination has yielded good results. I’m beginning to think waiting is a virtue with rewards. Plum cottage is lookin’ good.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Bless your heart, Lorraine. I'm so proud of you. You are doing so well... Love seeing pictures of your little journal. You are SO creative...

I'm sure you will enjoy the workshop--and your hubby will be smiling down,as you make it YOURS.

Love how you are doing things to keep his memory alive... That is so special.

God's Blessings to you.
Hugs,
Betsy

Skeeter said...

Your book turned out so nice. Love the way each piece has such meaning for you. You put such thought into every thing you make. One day at a time...

David C Brown said...

"And let the peace of Christ preside in your hearts, to which also ye have been called in one body, and be thankful", Colossians 3: 15.

Susan said...

I enjoyed seeing the wider view of your cottage. It's adorable! I'm reading 1000 gifts too and keeping a journal as well. It's a great idea. It does tend to make one look at life through the glass half full. Love your book covers.

Jean Campbell said...

I love the view out the window with the blue glass pieces.

Dorothy said...

Gorgeous post... even if it was an oldie, it was a goodie. I love journalling too. Mine don't have covers as cute as yours though.

Blessings
Dotti
New friend from Australia